Forum Focus: an unpalatable read
January began well with lots of promises, resolutions and ambitious plans. I was naive to think it would last. The NHS has not been out of the headlines this year, one negative story after another.
In the past, cancer services have been spared the cuts, but this year is different.
Despite being an optimist by nature, the stories of delayed cancer surgery are unpalatable reading. A diagnosis of cancer is so distressing that any delays in treatment are difficult for patients and their families. My understanding, however, is that this situation is not happening everywhere, but in isolated areas.
While the headline is scary and forgotten in a day, this type of news lingers in the public mind. Nurses often find themselves dealing with the fallout.
Ensuring nurses have a voice during these challenging times is vitally important. There are numerous ways...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests