Remote nurse team goes the extra mile
Being a Macmillan nurse in any setting can present challenges – but when you are based on the Outer Hebrides, your journey to see a patient could include a ferry or a plane trip
- Macmillan's Western Isles colorectal team’s 20-minute plane journey from Stornoway to Benbecula to catch a ferry to Barra
- Weather and seasonal issues present significant challenges in carrying out the role
- The team follow patients through their journey, covering primary and secondary care
Macmillan stoma and colorectal nurse specialist Chris Ann Maclean sometimes has a six-hour round trip to visit a single patient.
This is what happens when you are a nurse in the remote Outer Hebrides, a group of islands off the North West coast of Scotland. She is based in Stornoway at the Western Isles Hospital and her visits to patients’ homes have to cover four...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests