From burnout to a top job in nursing research: what I’ve learned
Senior nurse researcher Jill Maben talks about her career path and offers tips for a move into research
A new appointment may have cemented her position as one of the UKs most respected nursing researchers, but Jill Maben almost left the profession a couple of years after she had qualified.
I was already burnt out, I felt unsupported and was really struggling, if Im honest, says Professor Maben, who has just been appointed a National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) senior investigator.
The baptism of fire that led to burnout
She qualified in 1982 at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge before moving to Kings College Hospital in
Want to read more?
Subscribe for unlimited access
Enjoy 1 month's access for £1 and get:
- Full access to cancernursingpractice.com
- Bi-monthly digital edition
- RCNi Portfolio and interactive CPD quizzes
- RCNi Learning with 200+ evidence-based modules
- 10 articles a month from any other RCNi journal