How an enhanced care initiative has improved dementia services
Introduction of an enhanced care team has reduced use of costly support staff
The number of people with dementia is expected to double worldwide over the next two decades. In the UK alone, it is estimated there will be more than 2 million people living with dementia by 2051.
At East and North Hertfordshire NHS Trust, we have therefore made providing high-quality care for patients with dementia a priority.
In 2016, we set up an enhanced dementia support team (EDST) to provide one-to-one support for patients with dementia or delirium who are a risk to themselves or others.
The EDST is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, ensuring that patients who cannot maintain their own safe environments are always supported by specially trained staff. The team is made up of a band 8 matron, a band 6...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests