‘We work in the residents’ home, they don’t live where we work’
This feature in our series on career pathways explores advanced practice in care homes
Jennifer Boyd was an NHS district nurse for 13 years when she decided she wanted a new challenge.
In 2014 she became a care home liaison nurse and, as part of her new role, spent some time at Erskine, a Scottish provider of care for veterans and their spouses.
She says: ‘In April 2016, a post came up with Erskine for a house manager. I applied and was successful. About five months later the director of care approached me to see if I would be interested in advanced practice.
‘It was always something I had wanted to do but did not believe I would get the opportunity. I am now working as an advanced nurse practitioner (ANP) in Bishopton for...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests