Deconditioning due to hospitalisation
Functional decline as a result of admission to hospital has been well documented since 1944. Older people are at much higher risk of deconditioning than their younger counterparts.
This research focus summarises two historic papers, which are early studies on deconditioning, and one recent study that records the incidence of iatrogenic disability during hospitalisation. It provides an evidence base for the recent popular #EndPJparalysis campaign initiated by Brian Dolan. Professor Dolan's campaign encourages patients to get up, get dressed and get moving while in hospital to speed their recovery and reduce their length of stay. It is seeing positive early results, as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests