‘Think about the difference you’ve made to someone’s life’
Dementia nurse consultant Yvonne Manson on why bad days at work should always be considered learning opportunities
What is your job?
I am a dementia nurse consultant working across 24 care homes in Scotland, supporting improved outcomes for people with dementia, staff teams and family members, dementia care mapping, training, research, networking and writing.
Why did you become a nurse? Why did you specialise in care of older people?
My first job at 19 was in the local care home as a nightshift care assistant. It was clear from my first shift that I had found my career passion. I returned home that night and told my husband that I wanted to make a difference in dementia care. Since then my career has been devoted to doing that.
Shock that people with dementia didn’t have a voice made me...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests