‘I was inspired by how patients and families coped’
Carol Miller, movement disorder/Parkinson’s disease nurse specialist at Salford Royal NHS Foundation Trust and older person's nurse fellow, explains her passion for patient care
Parkinson's nurse specialist Carol Miller
What is your job?
I am a movement disorder and Parkinson’s disease (PD) nurse specialist. I work alongside specialist nurse colleagues, Patsy Cotton and Charlotte Casserley, in collaboration with ageing and complex medicine, neurology, neuropsychology and neuropsychiatric consultants and other members of the wider interdisciplinary team.
I have a multi-faceted role that includes providing nurse-led clinics for people affected by PD and associated conditions. One clinic focuses specifically on those whose non-motor symptoms such as cognitive decline, psychosis or dementia are the predominant cause of their problems at that time.
I coordinate the in-reach management service which provides a reliable, systematic approach to the assessment and management of patients with PD; this involves...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Older People
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests