Voluntary rules will not stem the obesity epidemic
Dr Jyotsna Vohra, head of policy research for prevention, Cancer Research UK, talks about the dangers of junk food marketing
Most people don’t know that extra inches around our waist increase our risk of developing cancer, and worryingly there has been a steady increase in obesity rates in the UK over the last two decades.
Cancer Research UK has shown if nothing is done, obesity could cause 670,000 new cases of cancer over the next 20 years in the UK. This would make obesity the single biggest preventable cause of cancer after smoking.
Right now, one in three children in England are overweight or obese when they leave primary school. And an obese child is five times more likely to be an obese adult with an increased risk...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests