The fear of pain
Having been a cancer nurse for more than 12 years, I have assessed hundreds of patients’ pain and have seen how my assessment and actions have brought about improvements in what they are feeling.
I have prescribed interventions for patients’ pain using recognised assessment tools and the World Health Organization Cancer Pain Ladder . Yet, my experience as an orthopaedic patient over the past 12 months has changed how I approach pain assessments and reminded me that pain is more complex than I realised.
In October 2016, I was persuaded to go to the GP due to a deteriorating gait. A few weeks ago, after one year of diagnostic tests and treatments, I had a total left hip replacement owing to osteoarthritis.
My family told me that...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests