Translating cancer nursing into practice
The new UKONS president Richard Henry talks to Anne Horner about planning for a surge in older people with cancer and finding time to care in busy workplaces.
Richard Henry, the new president of the UK Oncology Nursing Society (UKONS), is a busy man highly aware that caring cannot be rushed.
As a teaching fellow at Queen’s University Belfast’s School of Nursing and Midwifery, he lectures on cancer nursing. ‘We look at how cancer nursing translates into practice, looking at communication, maintaining people’s dignity and establishing interpersonal relationships that are dependent on trust and empathy’ he says.
Changing the game
‘You can talk about that in the classroom, but to get people to do that in practice…especially in busy areas where the organisation of...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests