My job: clinical nurse specialist
Millicent Blake-McCoy qualified as a primary school teacher, but the pull of nursing was too strong
What is your job?
I am the lead Macmillan haemato-oncology clinical nurse specialist at North Middlesex University Hospital. I am currently undertaking an MSc course in cancer care advanced nursing practice.
What does your job involve?
I am a key worker for patients from diagnosis and then throughout their treatment, and seek to empower people in living with and beyond cancer.
As a multidisciplinary team member, I contribute to the decision-making process for patients’ care pathways.
Besides providing expert and professional advice I am the communication resource for other members of the multidisciplinary team. I engage in specialist teaching to nursing students and am the trust’s designated nurse lead for training in the administration of intrathecal chemotherapy.
In addition, I run...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests