End of life care - 'it's everyone's business'
Nurse consultant at St Joseph’s Hospice, Jane Naismith, on why end of life care is everyone’s business.
What does your job involve?
I am nurse consultant in the community palliative care team at St Joseph’s Hospice in Hackney, east London. Half of my work is clinical and the remainder of my time is divided between education and training, politics and strategy, research and leadership. I provide leadership and support to the community palliative care nursing teams who cover the London boroughs of Hackney, Tower Hamlets and Newham as well as the City of London.
Why did you choose to specialise?
One of my earlier jobs was in a community hospital and I worked for Marie Curie as a night sitter. I often worked alongside the Macmillan nurses and saw such a stark difference in the care of the dying in...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests