Up to the challenge
Cherith Semple is not sure what inspired her to become a nurse. All she knows is that it was on her bucket list from a young age. ‘I came across one of my primary school journals recently and in it were my life ambitions: to become a nurse and travel to Australia. I’ve done both so I guess I need a new list,’ she says, laughing.
Dr Semple is a Macmillan cancer nurse specialist (CNS) at the South Eastern Health and Social Care Trust in Belfast, Northern Ireland (NI). She scooped the NI Nurse of the Year award in May for leading a series of initiatives that have resulted in significant improvements for patients living with head and neck cancer at local, national and international level.
After completing a PhD study exploring the factors that contribute to post-treatment psychosocial difficulties associated...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests