‘Every contact counts’
When senior healthcare assistant (HCA) Sharon Finn met a vulnerable man while on patrol as a neighbourhood warden, she knew she had found her vocation.
Realising that the man was down on his luck and in need of support, she pointed him in the direction of services that could help. When she later visited him at St Joseph’s Hospice in Hackney, east London, she says she could tell straight away that it was ‘a place of nurturing’.
‘I had visited him at other places but at St Joseph’s he looked really cared for,’ says Ms Finn. ‘He was clean-shaven, his eyes sparkled and he smelt of soap. This had such a powerful emotional effect on me – it was everything that care should be about. I knew then that St Joseph’s was where I wanted to be....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Cancer Nursing Practice
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests