How nursing students can benefit from volunteering
Alex Richardson’s befriending scheme for older people improved his leadership, communication and referral skills
When I started a befriending scheme at the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, I had no idea how much the project would take off and how many older people would benefit from it.
What began as a weekly telephone service for a small group of older adults has become a county-wide initiative, involving 25 healthcare student volunteers and more than 300 older people in Kent.
Lockdown left many older people feeling lonely and isolated
The project was set up to help tackle the social isolation experienced by older people as
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests