Using meditation to calm an anxious patient
When first-year nursing student Phaedra Longhurst cared for a highly anxious patient on her first night shift, she used her knowledge of meditation techniques to help ease his anxiety and manage his pain
In my first year of training on my first ever night shift, I helped to care for a patient who was experiencing significant anxiety issues.
I was aware that my first night shift would present some challenges, and that some of the patients might become disoriented at night, but I wasn’t prepared for the rise in anxiety I witnessed in many of the patients on the ward, who were crying out and in need of constant reassurance.
This particular patient had mental health issues including anxiety and depression. Although I did not know him well, I could tell he was in great distress, so approached him quietly and...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests