Drama workshops are helping nursing students to find their voice
Performance specialist Alex Mermikide's resources develop confidence and communication skills
As Alex Mermikides supported her brother through cancer treatment, she became aware of the emotional effect nursing staff could have on their patients.
‘Saying just the right words to someone makes them feel better,’ says Dr Mermikides, a former lecturer in drama at Kingston University and now doctoral programme leader at Guildhall School of Music and Drama. ‘As a nurse, even coming into the room in a particular way can have an impact.’
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests