Sexual harassment is not ‘just part of the job’
Nursing students should be given more support when dealing with sexual comments from patients
A discussion on Twitter caught my attention recently; a female nursing student was asking for advice about dealing with sexual comments from older male patients and responses were, unsurprisingly, mixed.
Many offered advice on how to be firm yet professional while preserving the patient's dignity, in the absence of danger, but others seemed to feel it was not a problem and the remarks should be laughed off.
Sexual comments from patients are all too common
Alarmingly, several felt it should be taken as a compliment, saying they would have thanked the patient. This advice, from senior nursing staff and fellow students, is dismissive at best. While some people may not mind comments of this...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests