Writing for publication can seem like a daunting proposition but getting into print can be personally and professionally rewarding. There are a number of reasons why writing about the work you do as a healthcare professional is worth the time and effort. Sharing information about a practice innovation that you have introduced or research that you have carried out can:
- Improve practice and patient care.
- Raise the profile of your workplace.
- Encourage debate. If you feel strongly about a certain topic or issue, publishing an article may help raise awareness and encourage others to get involved in the discussion.
- Raise your professional profile. An article can build awareness of your knowledge and expertise in your field of practice.
- Enhance your professional development. Having an article published can be a great addition to your CV.
In this video, Sophie Blakemore, assistant editor for RCN Publishing specialist nursing journals, provides an overview of the different journals published and the types of articles nurses and healthcare professionals may wish to submit. The importance of submitting to the journal most suited to your article is discussed, along with how publishing an article can benefit your career.
You can watch other videos in the writing for publication series here