Travelling to a nursing placement: can I claim back costs?
As COVID-19 continues to affect clinical placements, we look at how far students should have to travel, if you can change placement and how to claim for expenses
Are there any rules or guidelines regarding travel to placements?
Practice placements are arranged by a student’s university, says the RCN in its guidance for nursing students .
When allocating placements, the university should take into account circumstances such as where the student lives, whether they have dependants and whether they have access to a car.
Universities should have placement information available online or in a student handbook, with details about claiming expenses, supervision and assessment arrangements, and what to do if it is not possible to attend a placement.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests