Getting the most out of your practice placement
Lecturer and registered nurse Laurence Drew offers advice on preparing for a practice placement
A practice placement can be daunting but good preparation can help you to get the most out of the experience.
Mental health nursing tutor and nurse Laurence Drew explains what to do before, during and around the placement to support your learning.
In this video you’ll learn:
- Background reading – what to swot up on ahead of the placement.
- Learning objectives – what outcomes do you want to achieve and by when.
- Staff support - how your practice supervisor and other staff can help you.
- Equipment – the most important thing to take with you to boost your learning.
- Self-care – what to do outside of your placement hours to stay well and focused.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests