Raising concerns: it’s rarely easy, but be brave, because it’s the right thing to do
Advice for nursing students on how to challenge poor practice – your 7 top tips
Clinical placements can be challenging for nursing students, especially if you are new to them. No textbooks or lectures can fully prepare you for the difficulties you may face.
As I have progressed through my training, I have discovered that placements are as much about gaining an insight and understanding of the organisational culture and the challenges of modern nursing as achieving proficiencies and clinical skills.
One of the major difficulties we face is feeling able to challenge colleagues. This can be daunting for nursing students, and during my first year of training I found it difficult to speak up about practice I perceived as wrong.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests