Zakat owed during Ramadan
Every year during Ramadan, I review the savings I have managed to accrue over the past year and then I can calculate the amount of Zakat I owe.
One of the five pillars of Islam, Zakat is the practice of charitable giving based on accumulated wealth. It is about showing compassion and reducing financial hardship for fellow human beings, and is an obligation for every Muslim who has the financial means to pay it.
Growing up in Pakistan I had first-hand knowledge of poverty. Several members of my extended family were indigent, and it was a relief for them to know that their economic woes would be eased at least once a year when discreet envelopes would be left for them.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests