Fitness to practise referral: case study
Profile: Jayne works as a midwife along with several others including her manager, who is also a midwife. She has appraisals and meets her supervisor of midwives yearly. She has always renewed successfully since 2002 and kept a full portfolio of her practice experience and hours, and her extensive continuing professional development (CPD). However, just before her revalidation is due and she is about to get confirmation, she is referred to the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) over fitness to practise by a patient. The NMC has not issued an interim order or put any other conditions in place and Jayne is sure once the matter is fully investigated there will be no case to answer.
Jayne wants to know:
Who is going to sign off that she is fit to practise when she has been referred to the NMC?
Confirmation could come from her manager...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests