A patient has left me money in their will, but can I accept it?
How nurses must protect themselves from potential doubts about their professional integrity when patients or relatives wish to offer tokens of gratitude
Whether to accept a bequest made in a will is ultimately a decision for you to make. However, there are a number of factors you should consider before deciding whether to accept such a gift.
A patient has left me some money in their will – can I accept it?
First, check your employer’s policy on gifts. Does it allow you to accept gifts? If not, you have to refuse it.
You should always declare a gift to your line manager. This brings the gift to their attention and demonstrates that you are not attempting to hide
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests