War in Ukraine: why I left my family and job to care for refugees
A nurse reflects on her experience of travelling to Poland to support people fleeing the horrors of a ‘senseless’ war
When I heard about the Russian invasion of Ukraine, I decided to go to Przemyśl in Poland to offer some practical support. As a nurse and midwife, I wanted to go there rather than sending aid from home.
Why I chose to travel to Poland
My family is Polish and I speak the language fluently and I thought my language skills would be useful. I arranged my own placement after looking at where I felt I would be most useful.
Przemyśl is a small town with a
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests