MPs urge sweeping changes for nursing workforce
Commons health committee report warns of limited funds for standard community nurse training and staff shortages
Cuts to nurse training budgets should be reversed as an immediate way to tackle the workforce crisis, according to a report by the Commons health committee.
The MPs say the number of district nurses fell by 45% between May 2010 and May 2017, while community nurse numbers fell by 11% and school nurses by 19% over the same period.
The report, called the Nursing Workforce , says opportunities for advanced practice are becoming limited and it is difficult to pay for standard training for nurses in specialist areas such as community nursing. Too little attention...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests