Obesity: how to broach the subject of a patient’s weight with confidence and sensitivity
The NHS has struggled in tackling the topic of excess weight, so how should nurses tackle a potentially sensitive subject?
- Many nurses lack confidence to raise the issue of excess weight and may put patients on the defensive
- A guide for nurses shows how to talk to patients and raise the idea of weight loss programmes
- Nurses are advised to raise the topic in routine appointments but first be familiar with local weight management services
Obesity is one of the biggest health issues facing the nation, with more than one quarter of adults
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests