My journey from rough sleeper to Queen’s Nurse
Community nurse Donna-Marie Thomas reflects on a career built on a difficult start in life, and offers advice on how to overcome hardship
After spending much of her childhood on the streets, community nurse Donna-Marie Thomas has now set up a project to help people who are sleeping rough get vital healthcare.
‘I still feel as if I’m going home when I go back to the streets because I lived there for so long,’ says Ms Thomas, who works in Powys in Wales.
‘I feel comfortable with those who are homeless,’ she adds. ‘I know where they are coming from and what they are talking about.’
After experiencing sexual abuse as a child, Ms Thomas ran away from
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests