Mental health nursing in primary care: could you take an advanced role at a GP surgery?
Discover the advanced role that helps raise the profile of mental health services
Before joining the RCN as professional lead for mental health, I spent most of 2020 advancing career pathways for senior NHS nurses at band 7 and beyond.
An advanced career pathway that maintains clinical skills
The conventional career pathway for mental health nurses has aligned heavily towards management roles, reducing and sometimes removing the opportunity to develop as a clinician.
But in a survey exploring the career aspirations of mental health nurses across south London, carried out in February 2020, two thirds of the 235 mental health nurses who responded said they want to advance their nursing careers through an area of clinical practice.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Primary Health Care
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests