My 40-year battle with anorexia
I have abused my body from the age of 17 to nearly 60 and done some awful things to it with anorexia, bulimia and laxative abuse. I didn't think at the time what damage it could do, and was doing over the years, but I have to try to live with it now.
I have lost most of my teeth and only have one kidney, and I get infections in that one, which means I can end up in hospital. I have osteoporosis as well as bladder incontinence and retention, and have to use a personal catheter at times. I have had prolapses of my bladder, vagina and bowel, and have ongoing bowel problems with constipation and/or incontinence. Three times in the past three years I have been in hospital and nearly not survived, which has been terrible for my family to have to go through....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests