Tips for nursing students who are starting their studies
Nursing professor Jan Draper welcomes this year's cohort of nursing students
Congratulations on starting your journey to becoming a registered nurse.
Some of you might be coming to university straight from school or college, others from different walks of life. But whatever the route, it’s likely to have taken a few years to get to this point, achieving the entry requirements and getting through the recruitment and selection process. Your nursing degree programme is now stretching out ahead of you.
Although it is quite some time since I was in your position, I vividly remember those first few weeks when everything felt so new and unfamiliar and, if I’m honest, a little overwhelming. But almost 40 years later, I still look back on my student days as being a formative and crucial foundation for my subsequent clinical and academic career....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests