How to manage conflict: advice for nursing students
Conflict with colleagues or patients is inevitable. Find out how to deal with it professionally, reflect and learn from it, and develop conflict management skills
The healthcare workplace is a ‘fertile breeding ground for conflicts’ – so says Health Education England (HEE) in an online learning programme about managing conflict at work.
That may be disappointing if you went into nursing thinking that your work would involve only compassion and caring.
Is conflict the seventh C?
Rest assured that, for the most part, it does. But working under intense pressure and in situations where the stakes are high, you may find that conflict features more frequently than you expected or are comfortable with.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests