Opting for an overseas nursing placement: what you need to know
Tips from a nursing student on how to plan and prepare for an elective placement abroad, and how it could help you develop professionally and personally
I recently undertook an observational elective placement overseas as part of the professional development module of my degree in child and mental health nursing with leadership.
We had the freedom to go anywhere in the world, so I chose to spend four weeks in Coyhaique, the capital of Chile’s Aysén region, at a hospital offering the widest variety of paediatric services and specialties in the region.
Consider what you might get out of an overseas placement
I saw this as a once in a lifetime opportunity to gain insight into children’s nursing on
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests