My first placement: it can be daunting, but a rich learning experience too
A first-year nursing student reflects on what makes a rewarding clinical placement
Starting the first placement of your nursing degree can be a big challenge, especially if you haven’t had much healthcare experience.
After months of theory and simulation suites, you are eager to go into clinical practice but leaving the comfort zone of the classroom and the safety net of your tutors and fellow students can feel daunting. The prospect of being let loose on ‘real patients’ can make you feel anxious.
Our placements were announced at the end of November last year. After the initial excitement – or discontent for those destined to spend hours on the road and precious pounds from their student wallets – we quickly forgot. Our minds were on our upcoming...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests