The benefits of growing your own nursing workforce
Trusts are increasingly looking at new ways of building their staff numbers, Jennifer Trueland found out how Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust is widening access to the nursing profession
As a child, Amanda Cheesman longed to follow in her mother’s footsteps and become a nurse; academically, however, she didn’t make the grade.
On leaving school she went to her local college, where she did BTEC health and social care. Almost to her surprise, she flourished, going on to do her nurse training. She is now a senior nurse in one of the top trusts in the country.
As assistant director of nursing (professional practice) at Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust, Ms Cheesman is doing her best to widen access to nursing so the profession does not lose out on people who could be fantastic nurses....
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests