An ABC of becoming a nurse
Charlotte Hall and Georgina Ledwith of the RCN Students Committee spell out some rules to help through training and the early days of being a registered nurse
It is an exciting time to train as a nurse. People are living longer with more complex conditions, and nurses’ roles are changing and expanding to meet the needs of those we care for.
Looking back at my journey to becoming a registered nurse, I had plenty of ‘rabbit in the headlights’ moments when I didn’t know something, but there were also many times when I felt: ‘I was made for this’.
In my speech at my graduation, I compared nursing training to learning to ride a bike. We start slow and steady with stabilisers, then as we become more experienced, increasing our confidence and competence, we go faster. When you start your first...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests