Where is the support for our struck-off nursing colleague?
Nurse Isabel Amaro received little help from her profession, unlike her colleague, doctor Hadiza Bawa-Garba
In October I will start my career as a registered nurse. I like to think that I’m entering a profession where my colleagues will support me if something goes wrong, but after reading about nurse Isabel Amaro I worry how true that is.
The case of Ms Amaro, who was struck off the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) register in 2016, raises many issues for nursing, and there are some difficult conversations that need to be had.
Doctors rallied round
Doctors called for the head of the General Medical Council (GMC) to stand down over his handling of the case of Hadiza Bawa-Garba, the junior doctor who was struck off the medical register following the death...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests