Readers’ panel: Should unvaccinated children be banned from school?
Health and social care secretary Matt Hancock said he ‘wouldn’t rule out anything’ when asked if unvaccinated children should be banned from school. Nursing Standard readers have their say
Stephanie Nichols is an advanced nurse practitioner working in a GP practice in Warwickshire
It is vital that we tackle the decrease in uptake of vaccinations and increase in rates of vaccine-preventable diseases. But banning unvaccinated children from school is an extreme step that should not be taken lightly. Parents need help and support to make informed decisions about vaccinations, but so much false information is spread via social media. Nurses work hard to provide accurate information to parents – perhaps we need to start focusing this education online, where most of the anti-vaccine information is spread.
Drew Payne is a community staff nurse in north London...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests