Letter: was the fight for graduate entry nursing a total waste of time?
Veronica Burton says even Jeremy Hunt wouldn’t suggest apprenticeship training for doctors – so why should it be introduced for nurses?
Nobody with any official role in nursing should have anything to do with Hunt’s idea for associate nurses or ‘nurses on the cheap’ as that is undoubtedly what they are. And the plan to return to apprenticeship training is an entirely retrograde step. Or was the fight for graduate entry nursing a total waste of time?
This government has taken away the bursary, and our efforts should be aimed at restoring that, not at colluding with a government that has been warned about the need for more degree places to train real, competent, modern nurses, for years and has chosen to do nothing about it.
NHS finance has been frozen since 2010 and according to the King’s Fund the service has not been so badly...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests