Letter: Can Nadine Dorries MP keep her word?
I feel I must respond to the opinion piece by Nadine Dorries MP (Brexit will boost nurses pay).
The current poor wage levels for NHS nurses is solely the result of George Osborne's austerity experiment. The meltdown in terms of pay, conditions of service and patient safety in the private care sector is directly due to the slashing of local authority funding. Liverpool has suffered a 58% reduction in funding and that has directly impacted on patients in the private and third sector health services.
In spite of what Ms Dorries claims, the Pay Review Body for nurses and midwifes limits the annual pay rise to just 1% until at least 2020. It wasn't Europe that imposed that on us as a profession.
Her arguments regarding the danger of TTIP to the NHS pale into insignificance when the issues of the Trade Union Reform Bill, NHS Reform...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first 3 months
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring more than 200 topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals and their archives
- RCNi Learning featuring 180 CPD-accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests