Free period products for nurses: should employers provide them?
Limited toilet breaks and staffing pressures complicate menstruation at work. Healthcare unions want sanitary products to be free and easily available for all staff
Healthcare unions have called for sanitary products to be free and easily available to staff.
The RCN and the British Medical Association have both made calls for free period products, as nurses speak out about their anxiety about dealing with menstruation at work.
Nursing Standard readers have their say.
Rachel Kent is a mental health nurse in London
Annoying periods at inconvenient times seem to be the norm.
Providing the products may help, but for me the issue hasn’t been accessibility of products but rather the opportunity
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests