Understanding Mental Disorders: Your Guide to DSM-5
The book offers clear examples and case studies of disorders and treatments, and is a well-written, accessible guide to a wide-range of psychiatric diagnoses.
However, as this book is aimed at US readers, the diagnostic system used is the DSM-5, not the NHS’s preferred World Health Organization International Classification of Diseases, ICD-10. It also refers to US legislation, and to some treatment options and practices that are not recommended by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence or available in the UK.
What the book does not touch on is any of the controversies around psychiatric diagnoses, or the limitations of diagnosis in conditions such as depression, schizophrenia and autistic spectrum disorders, which share symptoms in common, but have widely varying outcomes and responses to treatments.
This book would be useful to beginners and non-specialists who want to gain a greater understanding of the DSM diagnostic...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests