Sixty Years a Nurse
As one of the longest serving NHS nurses, this book follows the highs and lows of Mary’s nursing career. Working in a London hospital against a backdrop of rationing and poverty was a life-changing experience for Mary, who was raised in a convent in rural south Ireland.
From the horrors of disease to her shock at seeing a man naked for the first time, Mary’s experiences are recounted with warm humour and compassion.
The book is also a moving account of her life. There are stories of friendship, dancing with Teddy Boys, and dodging the watchful eye of the matron. In addition, a heartwarming account of Mary’s own love story adds further charm to this book.
Sensitively written and often emotive, Sixty Years a Nurse deserves to be tucked into your suitcase ready for your next holiday.
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests