Hidden Cameras: Everything You Need to Know About Covert Recording, Undercover Cameras and Secret Filming
The legal, moral and ethical issues involved in secretly filming vulnerable people and their carers.
Last year, the Care Quality Commission issued guidance to families on using hidden cameras if they are concerned that their relatives are being abused or receiving poor care. Filming in care settings has also resulted in high-profile prosecutions and numerous TV documentaries. The author was the undercover producer who exposed the abuse at Winterbourne View, near Bristol, in 2011.
Hidden Cameras is eminently readable and takes you through the history of undercover reporting, what equipment to use, and the ethical and moral issues that are raised when secretly filming vulnerable people and their carers. The section on what to do with footage obtained by secret filming is particularly thought-provoking.
The author concludes that advances in technology mean small wireless devices can be used to conduct secret filming almost...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests