Grandma’s Box of Memories: Helping Grandma to Remember
This book aims to do just that by providing parents and carers with a structured way to start the conversation, and address children’s questions and concerns about the disease.
The story centres on a little girl called Alice, whose grandmother has been diagnosed with dementia. After noticing her grandma is becoming forgetful, Alice and her family put together a box of memories, with each item in the box designed to stimulate one of the five senses and spark memories.
Aimed at children aged four to seven years old, the book prompts discussion about what children can do to help their own grandparent living with dementia. The language is simple and the book is colourful, and it is positive to see that grandma is not portrayed as looking too frail.
The book doesn’t shy away from the challenges – it touches on grandma becoming upset or confused –...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests