Coping with a Mental Health Crisis
Seven steps are noted as ways in which healing and growth can occur, encompassing different elements of psychosocial support, validation, reduction in ‘toxic’ or stressful incidents, and active practices such as mindfulness and meditation, among others.
While not always mainstream practices (with the exception of mindfulness), the core ethos of these approaches – self-kindness, creativity and healing – provided useful reminders for readers to pause and take space in their stressful lives.
The book is accessible and wide ranging, though some of the approaches described as potentially helpful remain controversial, including detoxification and homeopathy. However, the book promotes choice, individualisation and the potential of hope – all useful elements in whichever field of psychiatry staff are working in.
The most powerful element was the use of personal narrative to illustrate different aspects. In this way, the book explores different ways of viewing mental health and crisis as...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests