Book review: The Pocketbook Guide to Mental Health Act Assessments (Second edition)
Aimed at approved mental health professionals and others working in mental health services, this updated issue provides a quick and easy guide to mental health act assessments and surrounding legal frameworks.
Its contents include an overview of the legal landscape, setting up and managing mental health act assessments and making decisions. Implementing decisions and admission to hospital, and working with compulsion in the community is also covered.
The features that were particularly appealing include the examples from practice, the checklists and the reminder boxes which include a helpful summary.
The narrative is as free from jargon as possible and where legal terms are used, they are explained and also referenced.
The text could have benefited from expanding on the section about the Mental Capacity Act 2005. However, that is probably a separate book and it is perhaps not possible to do justice to...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests