Book review: The Key to Mental Health (Second edition)
The Key to Mental Health (Second edition)
★ ★ ★ ★
The book focuses on hope and banishing fear. It is divided into two parts - part one detailing her personal story, and part two covering tips and goals for a recovery-focused future.
This book is a meaningful read, where the author states clearly that she does believe in the concept of mental illness, and questions the model of psychiatry, believing all psychiatric labels are a myth.
Throughout the book, it looks back on the history of anti-psychiatry, and focuses on pitfalls in treatment.
Reading this account as a mental health nurse was thought-provoking and the author uses quotes throughout as well as personal accounts of her own struggle in the mental health system.
The text makes for an interesting read and looks at the process of recovering in an...
Want to read more?
Unlock full access to RCNi Plus today
Save over 50% on your first three months:
- Customisable clinical dashboard featuring 200+ topics
- Unlimited online access to all 10 RCNi Journals including Nursing Standard
- RCNi Learning featuring 180+ RCN accredited learning modules
- NMC-compliant RCNi Portfolio to build evidence for revalidation
- Personalised newsletters tailored to your interests